Japanese hotpot dish made simple and healthy
- 4 cups water
- 2 pieces kombu 2-inch pieces, see Amazon link above
- 1/2 cup mushrooms shiitake for the most authentic
- 8 cups vegetables squash, bell peppers, carrots, celery, etc., cut into sticks
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cups rice brown rice for healthiest, white rice for most authentic
- 4 tbsp ponzu sauce see Amazon link above
Add water, kombu, and mushrooms to the pot.
Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
Remove the kombu and add the soy sauce.
Add the vegetables to the simmering broth (dashi) and let cook for 5 minutes.
Serve a bowl of the broth (dashi) with vegetables and a side of ponzu sauce. Set aside 1/2 cup rice per serving.
Use chopsticks to remove each veggie piece and dip in ponzu sauce. Enjoy!
When all the vegetables are gone, add the rice to the remaining broth and use a spoon to enjoy as a yummy soup.