Tomato & Basil Lentils are an easy-to-make, very nutritious, and great-tasting hot whole food plant-based oil-free meal.
There are a variety of recipes for lentil dishes and soups on the Internet. In the process of trying them, I have created my own version of a standard lentils with tomatoes dish. My version uses fresh, plant-based ingredients and is naturally low in sodium, sugar, and fat. Yet the taste is savory, and eating it is comforting.
Following is my recipe for 6 servings of delicious tomato & basil lentils.
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 8 ounces uncooked lentils (2.5 cups cooked)
- 2 tbsp garlic powder (or add minced garlic)
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Fresh basil, 6 medium leaves
- 1 tbsp cumin
- Boil 3 cups water, add the lentils, and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain the lentils.
- Place the lentils, garlic powder (or minced garlic), onion powder, and bell peppers, and vegetable broth in a saucepan. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, tomatoes, and basil. Simmer for 15 minutes. If desired, serve over brown rice or quinoa. Enjoy!
This dish is high in Vitamin A, Vitamin B-6, Vitamin C, Folate, Iron*, Phosphorus, Copper, Calcium, and Magnesium (*Bonus: the iron’s absorption rate is increased by the vitamin C!)
What do you think? If you make this recipe, or have additional tips, I’d love to hear from you!
[…] Tomato & Basil Lentils […]