How I Lost 25 Pounds in 2 Months

Today I am celebrating 2 months of great weight loss success eating a plant-based diet. I’ve lost 25 pounds, have toned muscles, and feel healthier than ever.

On January 5, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. It took me several weeks to understand why I have diabetes and to find my way to my ideal diet.  I figured out that I needed to focus on nutritious food and optimal weight loss, with a goal of getting rid of my belly fat sustainably. Since March 11, I have eaten a plant-based (vegan) diet.   In these past 2 months, I have gone from 154 pounds (size 10) to 129 pounds (size 4) — 25 pounds lost!

The weight loss has been rapid and dramatic, despite also gaining muscle mass through exercise.  I enjoy walking outdoors 1-3 hours/day everyday, and I do some weight training and light yoga 3-5 times/week.  I don’t do anything too intense… just activities that I enjoy.

I attribute most of my success to Dr. McDougall’s “Maximum Weight Loss” (MWL) plan.   If you’re interested, check out his book.

I am a 43 year-old, 5’8″ tall woman.  Today I weigh 129 pounds (hooray!).  Dr. McDougall suggests that my ideal weight is 127 pounds.  However, a person with type 2 diabetes might weigh up to 10-15% less than that in order to completely reverse their insulin resistance.   I’m just going to continue to eat sensibly and see where I end up.

Important Up date: Regarding my diabetes condition and medicine status, see my next article: My Diabetes Mistakes.

Libby's Weight Loss and Diabetes Success Chart

Last week I bought I size 4 pair of pants.  I haven’t been a size 4 since junior high school, 30 years ago! The previous pair of pants I bought was size 12 in December 2016.

Libby BEFORE - Size 12
Some BEFORE pictures, the month before I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes; I was around 157 pounds and wore a U.S. size 12.

My meals consist of whole grains, beans, and vegetables until I am comfortably full.  I also eat 1-2 servings of fruit everyday. To optimize my weight loss, I don’t eat oil, avocado, nuts, or anything else that has a high amount of fat or calories.

I frequently enjoy salads with hummus, steamed greens with beans or veggie chili, and sweet potatoes with broccoli.  I often use pico de gallo and oil-free hummus as toppings.  I eat until I am comfortably full.  Because my daily menu is so simple, I am easily able to follow this way of eating while travelling and living in hotels 100%.

Woman Eating berries
Eating oatmeal with berries and cinnamon via my hotel’s complimentary breakfast – May 2017

I’ll share more details later. If you’d like to follow my story, scroll down to the bottom of this page. On the bottom right, enter your e-mail address to subscribe to my blog.  Or you could “Like” and “Follow” my Facebook page.

Have questions or comments for me? Please use the Comments section below.

17 Comments Add yours

1. Marian says:

You are so clear about what you eat, I want to be like you! I’m tired carrying about 30lbs excess weight, no wonder I feel tired all the time! Also, I don’t have diabetes yet but I’m an open invitation to it😪 I will be following your blog!

Liked by 1 person

1. Libby Rome says:

Thank you for your note. I share my story in hopes it will help others. I’m glad my success has inspired you, and thanks for following. My weight declined most significantly when I gave up all oil and extra fat. I wish you great success, Marian! You can do it!

2. Sherry says:

Hi! Congratulations on your great success! I’m also following dr Mcdougall max weight loss guidelines but didn’t get that much success. I still Have 10 lbs to lose. One qs i have is are you completely Salt free? Thanks

Liked by 1 person

1. Libby Rome says:

Hi Sherry. Thank you!
      I don’t add any salt to my food. However, one of my favorite grocery items, Engine 2 Firehouse Chili, has salt. I usually eat a serving (1/2 the box) twice a week. I also make my own veggie soup using low-sodium broth, and I eat that 3-4 times a week.

3. Blasa says:

Are you still taking diabetic meds?

1. Libby Rome says:

No, I no longer take any diabetic meds. I feel so much better after stopping them, and I don’t have to worry about hypoglycemia anymore.

4. Brianna says:

Just found WFPB, you give me hope for weight loss!

Liked by 1 person

5. Elaine says:

You look wonderful Libby. You are an inspiration to many. Keep up the good work.

Liked by 1 person

6. erickacraven says:

You look great Libby! And you look like you feel great! I am working on doing the same thing. I have cut all processed foods from my diet along with dairy and red meat. This week, I have eaten strictly vegetables and fruit. I did make an exception on Tuesday night and had 6 small shrimp and today at lunch, I had a slice of white meat turkey breast. I have not added any oils to my food either. I did eat some pecans this morning though, and I intended to still eat avocados. I’m considering cutting those out to you after seeing your success! Please keep sharing your plethora of information! It’s inspirational to those of us trying to follow the same path!

Liked by 1 person

1. Libby Rome says:

Thanks for sharing Ericka! I wish you great success on your journey for better health. <>

7. Cheryl says:

Thank you for Sharing your story. You have inspired me. I am a few years older and I struggle with my weight but you have given me hope that I can do it too.
    Congratulations on your success and road to better health! I would love ❤️ to follow your blog.
    Will you be posting recipes and photos of sample meals? Seeing that helps and makes it feel more manageable. 🥗🥙🌽🍅🌶🍉🍐🥕🍒🍑🍐🍊🍋🍓🍇🍍🥒🍠👍🏻👏😀

Liked by 1 person

1. Libby Rome says:

Thanks for your note Cheryl. You can do it! I am happy to help by posting sample meals. I will share more soon. To our health! 🥗🥔🍉🍋🍚🍌🍅🍒😊

8. Shannon says:

Congrats! 🙂 you make it look easy, and inspire me to try…I will look more into this ‘diet’ (even though I don’t like diets)…

Liked by 1 person

9. Congrats to you! We started a vegan, whole-foods, plant-based diet as well on Jan 6th. I honestly don’t know that I’d believe the results if I hadn’t experienced them myself! I am down 38 pounds in 5 months. We are so happy with this new lifestyle change!

Liked by 1 person

Please leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s